Wednesday, December 26, 2012

To Resolve, Or Not To Resolve

As we put Christmas to bed, and look forward to the coming of the New Year... It's time to think about our resolutions.

Tonight, over a glass of wine in Amsterdam, this discussion came up... resolutions or not. My two guests said that they did not believe in them. They asked me what it was about making rules for resolutions you don't intend on keeping, and yet if you wanted to do them, then why wait until the New Year? Just do it now.

For me, New Years is a time to reflect on the year prior and make changes in my life. Despite who we are, we can always have room for improvement. I like to evaluate what worked last year, and what didn't. I enjoy setting goals and planning for the future. My resolutions are not rules made to be broken, but goals to be achieved. It's quite the accomplishment to make it through a year and say, "I did it!"

For the second part of the question... Why wait? Why not now? The answer, "Chocolate." I have have to get rid of it before I go for the no sugar thing. Yes, no sugar. Exercise every day, cardio and yoga. Study an hour each day. Write two hours each day. Paint two paintings for auctions.

So, what are your resolutions going to be? Write them out here, and then come back in a year and tell us if you made it.

Enjoy the Journey!
~XOX Karlene

Karlene Petitt is an author and a pilot. Her debut thriller novel, Flight For Control is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble

12 comments:

  1. I'm a huge believer in resolutions because like you, it helps me pause and look back. It also helps me decide what to focus on in the new year.

    My resolution for 2013: Focus on my books and fulfilling my dream for them.

    I lost site of that in 2012 in a major way and my focus was everywhere but on myself and my books. Next year will be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I know you will achieve all your dreams! Because hard work and talent is the best combination!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big fan of resolutions. But I do love chocolate lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay... I'll make one for you. This year resolve to eat a different type of chocolate you've never had before. ")

      Delete
  3. I enjoy creating resolutions since it gives me a sense of hope for my accomplishments for the New Years and I usually stick with them til uhum the end of Jan :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. The end of January is better than nothing. Right? I am going to try to stick to all mine this year.

      Delete
  4. my resolution is to try and keep up with the housework and the laundry, read a new book each week, and be an even better parent to my 2 kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I love your resolutions! You can do it. I have no doubt.

      Delete
  5. I stopped making "formal" resolutions a few years ago although I do find myself re-evalutating life / work / writing habits around this time of year. It's liberating to look back on the year and say - you know, I did pretty damn good with what I had at the time, and now that I've learned another year's worth of lessons I can move forward that much stronger.

    Here's to 2013! May it be our best one ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking back too. And so much to look forward to. Yes, Here is to 2013!!!

      Delete
  6. My resolutions are always about writing more. But also, I'm a goal-setting kind of gal, so I like to set a few goals in the coming year. Is that a resolution? Don't care. It's what I do, and it keeps me motivated. My other resolution is to get fit, and I've started on that already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to lose weight and finish the third book in the Between series. And I will!

    ReplyDelete