Monday, December 10, 2012

Finding Joy in the Journey

Happy December everyone! This time of year is more than holiday hustle and bustle for me. This is the time of year I typically take stock and make some decisions about my life - personally and professionally.

And this year, this means looking at my writing career. Walking the path of small presses or self-publishing takes courage. There are so many reasons to get frustrated and throw in the towel. There are also so many moments of joy and bliss! And I have experienced all of them at some point over the past 12 months. I've questioned my decisions, angsted over my path, and wavered in my confidence. I'm ridden a rollercoaster that has taken a toll on me in my friendships, creativity, my joy.

So, as I reflect on the year to come and make plans for the future, I've decided to refocus on finding the joy again. I am going to increase the things I LOVE and mitigate the things that cause my frustration.
For me, this means doing more of the following:

  • Teaching kids to write
  • Teaching adults to write
  • Working with emotional intensity in all of its forms
  • Writing
  • Writing
  • Writing
It also means a little less of this:
  • Rushing the process 
  • Angsting and comparing
  • Doubting and worrying
See, for me, it isn't so much a question of "am I on the right path" or "what should I do", it's more "let me be happy with my choices" and "let me remember the joy"

So...
2013 is going to be about finding - and maintaining - my joy in the journey. 

How about you? 

5 comments:

  1. These are awesome resolutions. Full speed ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful plan, one I can embrace as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are already well on your way to making 2013 a year of doing and less doubting. It's been an honor to be a spectator and occasional participant as you've journeyed through 2012. 2013 is ready. And so am I...ready to enjoy "the more" in you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can identify with so much of this. I know you'll have a stellar year. Here's to choosing joy!

    ReplyDelete