Friday, January 25, 2013

Aloha from Hawaii!


One of my favorite things to do as a writer, besides write, is learn how to write better. But this week I dove into the pool of screenwriting. I'm at the Aloha Writers' retreat, studying with Diane Lake. Trust me when I say, “I know why the movie rarely, if ever, mirrors the book.” One might use the word ‘impossible’ to turn a 400-page novel into a 100-page screenplay. This is going to be a challenge. But I believe a challenge is nothing more than an opportunity.

We all know to show, don’t tell. But sometimes knowing what to do, and ‘how to’, are two different things. As I study the art of using perfect words to paint a picture for the big screen, I realize that I’m learning how to create pictures for my novel too. While we all love books and reading, I suggest you watch a movie and pay attention to how those pictures create feelings and emotions. See the action they show. And if you have an urge to read, pick up a screenplay book. You’ll find some useful tools within the pages. I did.

Remember, no matter how large the challenge is, it’s nothing but an opportunity to grow, learn, and become the best you can be.

Enjoy every moment!

~XO Karlene Petitt

Author of the thriller, Flight For Control.

3 comments:

  1. The how to is definitely the hard part! And so many don't get into it. It sounds like a great retreat. Have fun and take tons more great pictures and notes for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather. It's a wonderful challenge. And you and I both know there is nothing we can't do if we believe. And learn. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a screen writing class last summer and it was a lot of fun. It made perfect sense! Enjoy Hawaii and the workshop!

    ReplyDelete