Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A New Series? What?!


When readers fall in love with a series, they can’t wait for the next book and the next one and the one after that until the story finally ends. And then we’re sad it’s over and wish we could continue living with these beloved characters for the rest of our lives. Or maybe that’s just me, but anyway, the point is we can never wait for the next release because we’re dying to find out what happens next.

So what happens when the author of such a series pauses to write something else? Well, I certainly hope it’s not a death wish for the author, because that’s what I’ve done. I’m literally right in the middle of the Soul Savers Series, but have started something new as well.

Actually, I started last Spring, but put the new idea to the side to focus on the release of Power, the latest installment of the Soul Savers Series. I started the new idea all over again for NaNoWriMo and finally finished it last week. I love this story. I love the characters. I’m hoping my readers will, too. I really can’t wait to share it with the world.

Every time I mention something about it on the Interwebz, though, so many people say, “But what about the next Soul Savers book????? I can’t waaaaaiiiiit!!!” It’s coming, too! I promise! I’m working on it right now, writing it while also revising this new book. I won’t leave anyone hanging, I swear.

It’s just … for writers, when a story comes to us that has to be written, we can only put it off for so long. Otherwise, the characters will literally drive us to a breaking point where we either completely lose the bit of sanity we might have or say, “Okay, okay! I’m listening!” And we stop everything to pour out the story as it’s given to us.

Promise and Purpose were the first to grab my attention like this and I didn’t come up for air until that story was completely out of my head. Then came the rest of Alexis’s story that will make up the Soul Savers Series. Alexis has always been the loudest character in my head. Until now.

I’d put off working on this new book until I could no longer stand it because the characters’ voices were louder than Alexis’s. I couldn’t even hear her story anymore. So you see, I had to write this one. It was time. And the only way to be able to get back to Alexis.

So now begins the fun of working on two different series at once, with two different worlds and lots of different voices. We’ll see how that goes…

Anyway, I hope, if you’re a Soul Savers fan, that you don’t put out a bounty on my head for writing this new book before Soul Savers 5 or because it will be releasing first. Oh, release dates? Would you like to know about those? Well, I’ll be announcing those as well as other exciting news in my next newsletter coming out later this week. You can subscribe over on my blog (www.KristieCook.com).

~Kristie Cook

12 comments:

  1. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I cannot wait for this series! NO LIE! I am so excited to see what your BRILLIANT mind brings us next! THANK YOU KRISTIE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so excited about your new series Kristie! I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! You can totally do two at one. I understand what you mean by the loudest voice wins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you do. You're an old pro at it now, right? :)

      Delete
  4. I am so happy for these news! I am a hardcore Soul Savers, but I have to admit, that I am very excited about your new book, too!
    Thanks, Kristie, that you share your talent with us, readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, I for one, am sooo excited about the new series. I cannot wait to see the new characters and hear their stories. Kristie, we are going to love everything you write! x :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This generally drives us readers a little bonkers. Or thats just me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a reader, I KNOW, right?! LOL Actually, at first I'm annoyed because I just want the next book of the current series, but if I like the new series, then I'm glad because I have more to read from an author I love.

      Delete