Friday, October 5, 2012

Finding Your Happy Place

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." ~Buddha
Life has been rough lately. I’ll spare you the details, but let’s just say it’s been crappy.

But no matter how stressful or chaotic life gets, or how many wrong paths I wander down, or how many road blocks or dead-ends I encounter, I know the way back to my happy place.

My happy place is writing. Creating stories where my characters can be the people I am not, or parts of who I am. Where I get to paint a picture of how I wish the world could be, or erase the ugliness I wish I'd never seen.

I have figured out my role in my own story called life. I am a storyteller. And whether or not a hero ever rides in on his white horse, or how drastically my character arc changes, or how many plot holes I stumble into, I know the secret of every book is to keep turning the page. Keep going. Keep believing.

Happy is a feeling. And if I’m writing, then I’m in the right (write) place.

*Side thought: Coincidence that right and write sound exactly the same? I think not.*

My happiness is writing, creating, and storytelling.
As long as I’m doing that, I am living my happily ever after.

What about you? Have you found your happy place? Or are you still searching?


3 comments:

  1. Mine is writing too! And animals, the outdoors... I'm so sorry life has been rough for you lately. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it's been tough. I can relate :-( But I agree, writing is definitely where I find my happy place. In fact, I am sometimes bewildered by how much a solid writing stint can change my mood. Wishing you many, many, many happy places for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things turn around for you soon. :( Truthfully, writing is not my happy place. Reading is. Writing takes a great deal of energy and concentration for me, and while I enjoy it, I would much prefer to escape into someone else's well-crafted happily ever after when life gets too much. Still, it's all books! :)

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete